Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Busy Start to a Busy Week

Hi everyone,

Some of you may have read some of this on a group text I sent out earlier, but my phone is having issues with storage space and I don't know who got what.  Figured this blog is the best place to make updates, and hopefully most of my friends and family will get in the habit of checking here.  You can subscribe to get email notifications if that makes it easier. :)

So this morning started early.  Woke up at 2 to take some meds, then could not go back to sleep.  After a couple of hours, I got online (nothing much happening at that hour), chatted with another early riser for a few minutes, disturbed Steve, turned off the computer, then slept/rested a little bit more until we had to get up to head for the hospital and school.

Steve dropped me off at the UNM Cancer Center at about 7:20 or so, and headed to Corrales with Naomi.  I checked in (early), finished drinking my 24 oz. of water at about 7:45 or so, right as they called my name.  The girl, Jenny, was awesome.  She talked with me, put an IV in my arm (almost painlessly), put the iodine dye in my veins (weird feeling but not horrible), and did the CT scan.  I think I was out of there by 8:05.  And of course Steve was not back from Corrales yet.  So I hung out in the waiting room for a while.

Had had nothing to eat that morning, so we had to get something before the Q&A session at 9:30 with the physician's assistant (PA).  Went to Whole Foods and got a small amount of fresh fruit (should have got more) and took some meds with it.  Was feeling decent, but drowsy, during the meeting.  The PA took her time with us; we had a lot of questions.  Then we met up with the patient navigator, who took us on a tour of the chemo suite on the 4th floor.  They really do try to make you as comfortable as possible there.  Was very helpful to me to know what to expect on Friday.

Decided to get some blood drawn today instead of on Thursday, so maybe we would have the CA-125 marker level information by then.  That will provide a baseline for future blood tests, to see how effective the treatments are.  The CT scan I had done today will do the same thing -- provide a baseline.  Not sure when the results of that will be available -- I would hope by Thursday when I meet with the doctor.

So tomorrow (Wednesday) I get the chemo port put in.  I should be out for that, and a bit "loopy" afterwards.  I believe they will "install" it right below my collarbone on the right side of my chest.  My meds and chemo will be able to be administered through the port, and blood can be drawn through it also.  No more needle pokes in my arms!!

So, yes, I am going to the cancer center/hospital 4 DAYS this week.  Yuk.  Was going to have the chemo Thursday, after the doctor consultation, but they rescheduled to Friday, which sounds like it could be less hectic.  As long as I don't hear any word that the doctor wants it on Thursday (she is not there on Fridays), it will be on Friday.  But future treatments, every 3 weeks, will be on Thursdays.

Treatments should last about 6 hours.  So I will be in the chemo suite, in a comfortable chair, with big windows, with the stuff dripping into my port, all that time.  Have to bring food, and stuff to keep my mind occupied.  Will be a long day Friday.  But I shouldn't have any side effects -- yet!  They will kick in later.  Have to take my meds before they kick in to minimize any effects.  I know you all will be praying for me and I will need it.

I will lose my hair, so need to cut it before then......

I am very tired now.  My gut's been acting up, with all the activity today, and although it is good that it is "working" a bit better than it has been, it also kind of hurts.  Hope to get this all under control and get a good night's sleep.  That will help a lot.  Especially since I can't have anything to eat again in the morning, and my procedure is at 9 a.m.

Please PRAY.  It REALLY helps.  God loves to answer your prayers!!  He is so Faithful and True and Good and Awesome and Loving and Merciful and Trustworthy and Praiseworthy.  So let us PRAISE Him and give Him all the glory.

Gotta go now.  I'm beat.  I (or someone) will let you know how it goes.  Stay tuned.....

Caroline  


5 comments:

Halder Family said...

We will pray.May God reign.

Caroline said...

Thank you. You are such a blessing to me.

NikiG said...

Always and forever praying for you my sweet friend!! Love ya! I had to log on to Olivia's gmail, sorry!

Suzandro said...

I have four friends who are oncology nurses at UNMH. Tracie Swafford used to go to Central church, but now goes to Calvary. I did weekly Bible study with her at Karin Anderson's house for about five years (until this year, when I had to quit). Terri Auvershine, another friend, is also in that Bible study. Kathy (can't remember her last name) was in the study group for a while, but not lately. Another friend is Audrey Sniegowski, who lives out here in the east mountains. If you have any of these lovely ladies caring for you during the chemo, let them know you are my friend. I will let Tracie and Terri know to expect you (I have their e-mails). And, my little Caroline and I will continue our nightly prayers for you.

Addriene Rhodes said...

I will be praying for you. Be strong and of good courage. Focus on getting well and let God be God. - Mrs. Rhodes